- Mr. Clean Auto-dry Car Wash - Anyone know of this?

Yeah, I think I'll pick it up just to see the spot-free finish. I'm not gonna use a soap though, I don't need some Polymer layer to protect my paint as I use Zaino at proper intervals. I really just wanna see if the de-ionized water will really dry to a spot-free finish after I wash with my own car soap. It would be really cool if that aspect of the Auto Dry works...no dealing with drying the car with towels, which saves me time and I don't cause any swirl marks on my paint....Nissan/Infiniti does by far the worst paint job I've ever seen in my life. [xx(]

Okay, so I just bought the starter kit and I'm going to wash my car soon. But I am not going to use the Mr. Clean soap because of all the things I'm afraid of, that we talked about. I just want to see how well the AutoDry feature works and if it does, I'd love to use it just for that. I read somewhere that the de-ionized water does not dry spot-free on chrome and my whole grill is chrome so I wanna see if it dries up spot-free on my grill or not.

Edit: I just read the directions thoroughly and it says not only do you HAVE to use the Mr. Clean Soap w/Dry Rinse Polymer in the Mr. Clean AutoDry, but it's the only soap you can use when washing your car (so no bucket with your favorite car soap [:(]). The directions state that the Dry Rinse Polymer in the Mr. Clean soap intentionally makes the water sheet off the car to serve as the first step in the AutoDry process.
Okay, so basically the special soap is what you need in order for the AutoDry process to work, but this special soap forms a new "layer" over your car wax/auto polish which does the OPPOSITE of what your car wax/auto polish is supposed to do (bead up water). I'm gonna try washing my car now without the Mr. Clean soap and hopefully the AutoDry process will work anyways (although it says in the directions that if you use any other soap, you void the Spot-Free Dry Guarantee).

Last edited:
Have you notived it is the "soap" in the automatic dishwashers that cause the sheeting action and spotless rinse.
Have you noticed the name of the big supplier of the soap..., take a guess.

Anyhow..., experiment with it using different applications and test it out thoroughly then let us know your thoughts.

I just washed my car (this time NOT using the Mr. Clean soap) and I am just chilling here while it hopefully "auto dries". So far I have a few good things to say about it:
The AutoDry only has one pressure setting, which I thought was kinda wack at first, but the pressure level selected is absolutely perfect. It was strong enough to blast away the dirt from my wheels (after spray some wheel cleaner, of course), while not being too much for your car's paint. Also, there was absolutely no leaking coming from the AutoDry hose connector, which was really nice because we all know that when we wash our cars, we don't need to wash ourselves as well. As soon as my car is completely dry I will inspect the surface and check to see how spot-free the water dried up. I really hope this stuff will work, but I did not use the Mr. Clean soap which sheets the water off the surface of your car as step 1 of the auto dry process.
I think for the "full" AutoDry test, I will use my dad's car since he doesn't wax his car aynways. What's so freaking stupid about this product is that Mr. Clean claims that the wax on your car is still preserved and that the Dry Rinse Polymer "layer" is formed above your wax. And this layer does everything opposite of what wax does....it makes the water sheet off your car and it makes the surface rough, so how the hell are you supposed to see if there is still wax on your car?

If you use the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash following all of the instructions properly, Mr. Clean is actually telling you the truth and your wax really is preserved (which is good, but still not great because it stops the wax from beading up the water the way it's supposed to), or it's total BS and you're just washing your car with another form of Dawn dish soap which completely destroys any trace of wax you ever had on your car. Anyways, time to go check on the car !!

Okay, let me give everyone the run-down of what I did and then I will share the results:

I washed my car this afternoon using the Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash, but I did not use the Mr. Clean Car Soap like you're supposed to (which makes the water sheet off the car to help the drying process). Instead I used a bucket and some Zaino Show Car wash (2-3 capfulls of the stuff for every gallon of water, as directed), with two wash mitts. The Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash unit worked pretty well. Only one pressure setting, but it was just the right setting, and the spray was well organized also. No leaks from the hose connector or anything. I rinsed the car with regular water, washed it using the wash mitts, and rinsed the soap with regular water, one section at a time just as I normally do. Then I got to the final part: the final rinse with the filtered water. I set the AutoDry Carwash to the filtered water setting and began to spraying my car. Unfortunately, when the water is being filtered, you lose like 60% of the water pressure from the AutoDry Carwash. So, I slowly sprayed down the entire car, working my way one section at a time, keeping the AutoDry Carwash unit about 6-12 inches away from the car. I made sure I covered every spot, including the windows, the mirrors, and the wheels. When I was finished, I cleaned everything up while letting the car "auto dry" and then I pulled it back into the garage. I should state that since I apply two coats of Zaino once every 3 months and I did not use the Mr. Clean Car Wash soap, the water was beaded up like crazy. There was no "sheeting action" occuring that is step 1 of the auto dry process. Basically, the Zaino caused the water to bead up the way a good car wax should, so the water had nowhere to go. After letting the car sit there a good hour or two, I finally got tired of waiting. The car was mostly dry, all the glass was dry, the wheels where dry, most of the body was dry except for the trunk lid and some of the hood.

The windows and mirrors were completely dry and absolutely spot-less. It was as if I used a towel and actually did work to make the glass look so good, but I didn't!! The rims and tires dried up spot-free as well, but the body was a different story. The sides and the rear of the car dried up pretty nicely, mostly spot-free, but horizontal surfaces, such as the hood and the trunk lid came out the worst. The spots were smaller and not as visible as regular water spots, but they were still very much there and they were all over the hood and trunk lid. I think if I had used the Mr. Clean soap, I really could have washed my car, rinsed it with the de-ionized water and walked away and come back an hour later to a perfectly dry spot-free car.

As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to use the Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash on my dad's car (which is around 6-7 months old and was only waxed once by the dealership for prep for delivery, as standard procedure). I'm still working out what procedure to follow because I also want to try applying some wax to his car and then washing it with Mr. Clean and then wait like a month while he washes his car regularly in the meantime so the layer of Polymer wears down, and see if the wax is still there.

Personally, I think that if I just wash my car with whatever car soap I normally use (with a bucket and two wash mitts, as I prefer), and performing a final filtered water rinse and getting rid of most of the water with a waterblade, I can have a perfectly dry car after every car wash, without dealing with towels. I don't mind the effort of using towels to dry my car, but I just see them as kind of a burden because they just add swirl marks to my paint (thanks to crappy Infiniti paint job) and then I have to wash & dry them afterwards. If I could eliminate the use of towels for drying the car, that would really help my car washing process a lot.

Yeah, so I hand-washed my car again today and I used the Zaino soap again and then I did a final filtered rinse and then used my water blade. I had to use some microfiber towels as I saw that whatever was left by the water blade started to dry up and was leaving little spots on my car. I'm not using this thing anymore, it just doesn't work at all for people who actually know how to properly maintain their cars' appearance. I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything, but the Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash is just not working out for me in any way (I refuse to use their soap and the AutoDry feature doesn't work without it).

flashinthepan

Mr E-

- I didnt think it worked very well with Zaino.

-The auto-dry soap itself sucks, very little or no suds.

-the drying action is a very very long wait, you hafta wait way too long if you want a ready to go shine.

its a gimmick- (my opinion), not slamming anyone elses opinions !

flashinthepan said:
Mr E-

- I didnt think it worked very well with Zaino.

-The auto-dry soap itself sucks, very little or no suds.

-the drying action is a very very long wait, you hafta wait way too long if you want a ready to go shine.

its a gimmick- (my opinion), not slamming anyone elses opinions !
Agreed, the drying action does take very long (hours). The web site says you can just start driving immediately after the filtered rinse, but everybody knows that is the greatest way to go for a completely clean dry. The wet wheels will just spray up dirty water onto the body of the car....happens to me every time I go to my local auto wash.