- Mr. Clean Auto-dry Car Wash - Anyone know of this?

epj3

2poor4aBimmer said:
Does this apparatuses protect my car from the UV elements?
I picked up a Mr Clean auto-dry at Canadian Tire this weekend for $30!! I think i got hosed. Are there any coupons or mail-in rebates for canadian residents?
Im hoping this stuff will rejuvenate my 89 hyundai excel.
I dont think much will rejuvenate an 89 hyundai. It'll get it clean though.

bobage24

epj3 said:
I dont think much will rejuvenate an 89 hyundai. It'll get it clean though.

It will get it so clean that it will strip of any wax you may have on it. Your wax will protect your car from the UV elements, most waxes have a protectant in it. Mr. Clean will strip that wax though. If it is that harsh on wax, I wonder what the long term effects on the paint will be. [thumbd]

In the instructions, it says you have to reuse the mr clean system after every rain fall. So im thinking if i wax my sweet ride after the mr clean wash, will that buy me some time and a couple rain falls before i mr clean it again?

I don't know how much of the wax is removed by Autodry, since I've already used it two times since waxing a month ago and the water is still beading. Can the polymer in the soap result in beading?

bobage24

snowsedan04 said:
I don't know how much of the wax is removed by Autodry, since I've already used it two times since waxing a month ago and the water is still beading. Can the polymer in the soap result in beading?
I don't know, all I know is that it does indeed remove wax. I was under the impression that it did not remove the wax, and had I not been using colored wax, I would have never known. But I do know for a fact that it removed all of the remaining red pigment wax on my car. I am not sure if wax is the only thing that can cause beading, I will try to find some more information on that topic.

I was bummed that I spent hours waxing my car a month ago and this soap just washed it right off. I have use the same wax for years, and it will usually only need reapplication every 3 to 6 months. The car is rarely driven and in a garage. I guess it is up to you if you want to take the chance, but I would rather stick with a soap that is not harsh. I am going to try and wash my car with regular soap and just use the filtered water to rinse. I will let you know how it goes.

bobage24

2poor4aBimmer said:
In the instructions, it says you have to reuse the mr clean system after every rain fall. So im thinking if i wax my sweet ride after the mr clean wash, will that buy me some time and a couple rain falls before i mr clean it again?
Well, I am going to try and use my own soap with the filtered water and see what happens. I doubt it will work, but if it does, this problem will be solved.

It really works.

I bought the Mr. Clean car wash and let me tell you! My car never looked so good and I didn't have to touch it with a towel. I highly recommend this product.

Really goes to show the power of advertising and marketing can have and how it influances people..., even if many do not like the devise 3 months from now..., the sale was already made and the profits are in...

flashinthepan

Guys,

Save your money -

Does it work ?

Marginally, very very poor suds, very long drying action, hope you are patient !!!

It was without a doubt, a waste of my money [thumbd]

But hey !, try it, you only lose $25 bucks or so - and a bit of garbage space.

I will take the other well liked brands any day over this crap.

I am just a regular guy passing on my own experience. As you can see, I have 650+ posts, unlike the guys with 2 or 3 posts that actually like the stuff...a bit sneaky ??

flashinthepan said:
Guys,

Save your money -

Does it work ?

Marginally, very very poor suds, very long drying action, hope you are patient !!!

It was without a doubt, a waste of my money [thumbd]

But hey !, try it, you only lose $25 bucks or so - and a bit of garabage space.

I will take the other well liked brands any day over this crap.

I am just a regular guy passing on my own experience.
That is what I have been saying for the last year or so, LOL!!

Even at that, there will be some that like it and swear by it..., same goes for Turtle Wax, Meguiars, etc, etc..., (even though there are much better choices, most will never know if they do not try the upper end products)

Just my .02:) [werd]

I think I'm finally going to buy this stuff just because this topic has gotten so big. I originally wanted to wait until it came out in stores to pick on up, but by the time it was available, I stopped caring.
As long as the stuff doesn't strip my wax (I use Zaion, 2 coats every 3 months) and it makes my car dry spot-free, I'm all for it !!

Try this if you have any test panels..., or, try it on your fender-
Wash fender with your favorite car wash-

Wax fender with your favorite wax-

Spray fender with water to make sure you are getting beading and make note of the beads, how large or small, how tight the pattern, etc-

Wash with Autodry soap-

Look for beading, note again the size of the beads, patterns, etc-

Wash 4x with water Only, make note of the beading-

Now wash with your favorite car wash that does not make water bead-

Wash again with water only to remove any residue of the last car wash-

Make note of the beading-

Remember, you only washed with water, only one car wash was a mild wash to remove any residue that would either cause sheeting or beading...,

What are the results?
No beading, no protection. Beads do not just "disappear", they disappear when the protection you spent hours to achieve are now washed away...
But if you like "sheeting action", and do not like wax on the car, this would no doubt be the way to go:)

Yeah, I think I wanna try it on only a certain portion of my car just to make sure it doesn't strip the wax, but the Mr. Clean web site insists that the product does not strip wax. They state that the water will not bead up the way a waxed car should after washing your car with it and having it rained on AND the paint will not feel smooth the way I waxed car should, but all the wax is still there (that is their claim). Supposedly it changes the beading of the water because of the layer of Polymer molecules that are left on the clearcoat. Check this out, taken from the Q&A section of the Mr. Clean AutoDry web site:

Q: Does it leave a film behind? Does it affect the polish or the wax?
A: Mr. Clean AutoDry doesn't leave behind a film, just a thin layer of the Dry Rinse Polymer molecules that are replenished each time the car gets washed. These do not strip the wax, or harm the paint or clearcoat in any way.

The problem with Mr. Clean AutoDry is not that it's a bad product, but it's aimed at a certain audience. I think the ideal Mr. Clean AutoDry customer is a person who likes to keep his/her car clean, but doesn't wax his/her car regularly and wants the simplest process possible. You know, the type of person who enjoys hand-washing their car on a sunny Sunday afternoon and thinks he/she is great at maintaining the visual appearance of their car, but doesn't care for waxing, clay bar, polishing the chrome, etc.

So let's say worst-case scenario that the soap that you have to use for the Mr. Clean AutoDry is just some wack soap that DOES affect the wax and the way the car beads up water....can the filtered water aspect of the Mr. Clean AutoDry still be used safely for a nice spot-free shine?? Because I really have no problem with the bucket of soap & water...you gotta scrub the car down with a wash mitt with or without the Mr. Clean AutoDry, so ya might as well have the bucket of soap & water anyways so you can at least use the car soap you prefer, and you have a place to put the wash mitt while you're just rinsing the car down. This way you wash your car with the car soap you prefer and you get the spot-free towel-less dry that makes the job easier and keeps those swirl marks away....unless the process of the filtered water drying up affects your car's wax in any way???

Last edited:
Q: Does it leave a film behind? Does it affect the polish or the wax?
A: Mr. Clean AutoDry doesn't leave behind a film, just a thin layer of the Dry Rinse Polymer molecules that are replenished each time the car gets washed. These do not strip the wax, or harm the paint or clearcoat in any way.

Hmmm...,
What is the difference in a "film" and a "layer", Hmmm...
I just do not get why there is very little honesty in advertising anymore..., other than the obvious- Greed!

Have you read the washing and drying tips in the sticky post at the top of the forum?

I worked very hard and spent a lot of time trying to get to the easiest, safest and fastest wash available. (I love detailing, but washing was never my favorite chore)

(just to note, Autodry recommends changing wash mitts every 2 washes..., that is how harsh the soap is..., it even faded a light green mitt I used to test the Autodry soap with.
No other soaps have EVER faded a mitt..., even the APC's, Citrus Cleaners, Dawn, Degreasers and some other, what is considered harsh cleaners, but the Autodry Soap did.

The power of suggestion is amazing...,
Not harsh..., mmmkaayyy

flashinthepan

MrElussive said:
I think I'm finally going to buy this stuff just because this topic has gotten so big. I originally wanted to wait until it came out in stores to pick on up, but by the time it was available, I stopped caring.
As long as the stuff doesn't strip my wax (I use Zaion, 2 coats every 3 months) and it makes my car dry spot-free, I'm all for it !!
E-
It doesnt work very well at all with Zaino,...but I agree for $25 give it a shot, it wont hurt anything - and if there is anyone that truley likes the stuff, no offense intended !!

I will keep it in the crap collumn for a good while, maybe they will have a new version some day, that actually does work.