Is this product better than waxing?

HornyHornet said:
PTFE, isnt that teflon? Dont you have to heat it to an ungodly amount of degrees F in order for it to stick to something?
Yes..., about 700 degrees and up and is useless in a sealant..., but what does Dupont know..., some would rather listen to "marketing" than "facts", LOL!!

Although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position."

Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, (PTFE) hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish."

This is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.
Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont.
(Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth Abouth Teflon®", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.)

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I think I'll place an order for the 5 star shine tomorrow, after I discuss it with some friends. 10 months sounds pretty good. Maybe the Teflon is useless, but their formula works.

waynestowels said:
Yes..., about 700 degrees and up and is useless in a sealant..., but what does Dupont know..., some would rather listen to "marketing" than "facts", LOL!!

Although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position."

Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, (PTFE) hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish."

This is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.
Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont.
(Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth Abouth Teflon®", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.)

Good find. I remember something about a Dupont technical paper that stated that the product was not effective for car care.

Funny how "marketing claims", even those that have been proven incorrect by testing over and over again will still convince people it does..., just goes to show- advertising works...,
(maybe I should look into making exagurated claims instead of being honest..., nah..., I would rather sell nothing than have to exagurate claims about a product to make a sell..., in the end, the truth always comes out..., just do a little research:)

Please, NOTHING but PURE ADVERTISEMENT! Every product that gets a good review is paying money to promote their products. A fine real no nonsense test of the top bidder.
Stop peddling your wares here, get a job and stop BS the good people of this forum.
LEAVE! You've prooved nothing, all hype and advertisement. I sure alot of bimmer folks who take pride in their cars, always looking for the best will send you you their hard erned dollars out of ignorance which is how you prey upon them. Pay for the test, pay for the product, next victum. Shame on you, be honest your only looking out for number one (YOURSELF). I'm surprised you don't have a 900 number and charge by the minute...........

You sure are a funny one, LOL!!!

You have proven not only your limited knowledge of products and chemicals, but also refuse to see the "truth" when it is quoted by Dupont about the product(PTFE or Teflon).

Obviously some are past the stage of learning and will continue in the same direction with blinders on..., which is ok...,

However, I felt compelled to post the TRUTH based on testing from PROFESSIONALS and DUPONT for the members of the forum to decide for themselves, which is what the forum is for..., learning:)

BTW, this will be my last post on this thread as it is going nowhere and I feel no further need to show further evidence that the "active ingredient, PTFE" is pure hype..., Actually, you can thank Dupont and their representitives for that:)

(waynestowels): [nono] read and weep, all the bull flying from your web site, insults anyone with intelligence. How can YOU tell anyone that something doesn't work when in fact you never (EVER) used the product or spoke with anyone whom had? Please tell all the forum folks here how you managed to account for your product knowledge without using the product, [screwy] yet at the same time find plenty of faults with it, but NO experience. NOT TO Mention your advertising your BS items which are in serious jepardy due to the uniqueness of 5 star and it's long lasting abilities. Your customer base would diminish from wide spread knowledge of 5 star not to mention you would lose all return customers since they would have better things to do with there money and there FREE TIME, not having to worry about car paint protection! Let people know that 5 star shine works as advertised, going on 11 months for me... [boxface]

Corey Bit Spank
Obsessed Detailer

5 Star Shine...answers?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by chadster
Hi, I appreciate each of your good/inquisitive questions and coments. Great due diligence! Each one has an answer. So let me answer them one by one. I promise the answers don't involve reverse time-travel a la Superman flying around the world backwards or flux-capacitors (Back to the Future)......

Question: "On your website, you claim to have been applying FSS to a 1985 Cougar since new. How is this possible when the patent (5,081,171) was given January 14, 1992. Oh, and I'd really like you to clarify how you went back in time with the 1985 Cougar?"

5 Star Answer:
You'll see that there are previous patents that are referenced within the 5 Star Shine Patent. The original patent was given in 1979. Since then there have been innovations and improvements. One of those improvements, which is the most significant, came in '92 which is the current formula. The Cougar had been treated using the previous 1979 patent application. Same protection, but just a vastly different application method.

Question/issue:"I don't know if you're aware of this but quite frankly, PTFE must be applied in 640 degree temperatures for it to "sinter" or bond to a surface. Crazy internet marketting you have going on here."

5 Star Answer:
Don't be confused, in the paragraph "BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION" it describes a DIFFERENT PATENT (4,284,668 ). 5 Star Shine remedies and eliminates the "buffing"/heating temperature bonding issue that you/dupont describe which can damage paint unless applied by someone skilled with a cutting buffer. This new patent formula (1992) is different. 5 Star Shine contains NO ABRASIVES. Application is an easy 2 step process using a soft terrycloth towel.

Let me continue to answer the next logical question one would have.... "So then how is it that 5 Star Shine achieves the ability to use teflon in its patented formula?"

Here is how 5 Star Shine chemically works and the unique patented formula that allows for the teflon to protect the car surface:

As the teflon (suspended in the aqueous solution) is applied to the car, the polar attraction of the teflon to the car paint surface holds the teflon in place.

The polar attraction alone won't hold the teflon on the car surface long term. (think of how a magnet would hold metal shavings...... they stick, but you can easily remove them)

This is where the new patent difference/innovation comes in:
Methyltrimethoxysilane (the major chemical in the aqueous solution) is the chemical that is the curing agent on the painted surface which cross links with the teflon to protect against and repel dirt etc..
Interestingly enough, over time, as it cures, the teflon expands while interlinked with the methyltrimethoxysilane and effectively covers the entire surface better than when it was first applied. (you'll notice on the bottle it says that the appearance will continue to enhance over the next 24-48 hours after application.)

I certainly understand your skepticism, I most certainly was initally too. Ultimately people want to know/see that a product works and lives up to the claims it makes. 5 Star Shine does exactly that. I hope that you and others take the plunge and try out 5 Star Shine. Then you can be the first to write in about your conversion followed by a stellar review on this site!

So there is the loooong answer. Hopefully I've explained it well. If you haven't, go and check out the testimonies of those that have applied 5 Star Shine and continue to get the same original shine/protection months after they first applied it. Updates will continue to come in.

Sincerely,
-Chad

Check out the proof by what long-term users are saying!

http://nicoclub.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=45700

http://nicoclub.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=48193

http://nicoclub.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=44819

Use customer code 'VIPDISCOUNTS' for a discount at checkout!

www.5starshine.com

Tom

Staff Team
All right folks..let keep it civilize without the personal insults and product attacks.

I personally have never tried the 5 Star Shine, however I did get the opportunity to try the Einzett product Wayne carries. Believe me they very high quality products. I'm currently on my third wash and I can still feel the smoothness of the wax protection.

Unless you guys have tried both products, I don't think anyone here is qualified to comment fairly on the comparison.

What is the deal with all the patent talk? This is a big red flag because a patent is so easy to get, I can create a formula and patent it myself! I guess people believe this as some spectacular trait.

Anyway, Dupont, the ACTUAL MANUFACURER of the product stated the product does not perform as an additive for car protection, period! This is the bottom line to the whole argument.

I know this battle ship crap. Isn't this the company that claims you only wax your car once and never wax it again? I thought this stuff was discarded as a gimmick a looong time ago. Even the web site looks super cheesy.

lpquick, how positive are you that the stuff is still on your paint? Does your paint still feel smooth and does it bead the water while washing your car, or just during rain?

MrElussive said:
I know this battle ship crap. Isn't this the company that claims you only wax your car once and never wax it again? I thought this stuff was discarded as a gimmick a looong time ago. Even the web site looks super cheesy.

Yes, same stuff MrE. The thing is PTFE is used on a lot of parts today but in the manufacturing process, the only time application can be successful.

I was looking around for a good touch up spray wax for between buffings, and I was surpised to see

I bought it because I figured DuPont has a good rep, but was stunned to see them marketing wax with teflon [???1]

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Auslander RML said:
I was looking around for a good touch up spray wax for between buffings, and I was surpised to see

I bought it because I figured DuPont has a good rep, but was stunned to see them marketing wax with teflon [???1]
Ok I'm confused now... [???1]does Teflon work as a surface protectant??? Or is Du Pont simply cashing in on the marketing hype. I know showing that site 5starshine and suggesting I was going to try their product ended up embarassing me. If it did work why does the administrator of that site need to use that "fake-3amTV-pushy-product-paid-commercial" style/format to sell his product?

DuPont probably just wants to cash in on the name. Don't get me wrong; I used it and I was pretty impressed, but nowhere on the bottle does it really say anything about Teflon except for the front of the bottle.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Auslander RML said:
DuPont probably just wants to cash in on the name. Don't get me wrong; I used it and I was pretty impressed, but nowhere on the bottle does it really say anything about Teflon except for the front of the bottle.
Where did you get it, and how much?[hihi]

Auslander RML said:

Read the bottle. It's like the bathroom cleaner with Teflon or any other polish/protector , but it's not the same as a durable long-term protector .

HornyHornet said:
Dupont pushing Teflon Spray Wax just throws a wrench into this thread. Whats going on?

It’s a minor ingredient. Teflon has been used as a MINOR ingredient in a lot of stuff including most all commercial floor wax. The key is a minor ingredient. It’s bonding properties are still only as good as the base wax product. According to DuPont, the addition of the powder may enhance the protective properties but it still remains the minor protective agent.

The key is to read what DuPont says about the products and the recommended applications. The spray is a “between wax” product, there are many of these brands around. The DuPont branded waxes with Teflon added powder, again, as the minor agent, call for reapplication in a time frame similar to all other products on the market. Why, because they are only enhanced with Teflon powder as an aide and rely on quality wax for bonding. Why again, because Teflon will not bond, thus the reason for the additive powder as a minor agent to enhance the wax properties.