wind noise in replacement windshield

kyoko

Last year I had to have my windshield replaced because of a crack from a rock. I told the insurance company that I wanted it replaced with a bmw windshield, and they complied. Recently I have been noticing a wind noise coming from the windshield as if a window were open when I'm at higher speeds, or if it's a windy day. My car used to be really quiet on the road, and now it also seems like I hear the road noise a lot more also. It was done by Safelite Auto Glass, which came out to my place of employment and installed it. It looks great, and does not leak water, but I have the wind noise. I have Safelite coming out to my house tomorrow and would like some input before they take a look at it.
Someone wrote in on another site that they experienced the same problem, and the installer came out several times and attempted to correct the problem by filling in the top seam with epoxy, which did not work. The installer had no idea how to fix it, because it looked cosmetically correct, so they were at a loss. This guy found a bmw site where others had the same problem and they pointed him to a special alignment gauge to check if his glass was in spec. After buying the gauge at the dealer, he found that it was not is spec. He was also given a print out of the installation instructions because the parts guy at bmw told him that you need them to show the exact procedure and need several special tools to properly install the bmw windshield. In the instructions it states that the glass is supposed to be depressed several mm below the top of the roof to "prevent wind noise.
I called the dealer yesterday and asked the parts guy if they had the gauge, and he wasn't sure, but could probably order it. He told me that I should call the people who put the windshield in and have them take a look at it. He really didn't sound that interested in helping me, and told me that they use someone different than put mine in. I went with Safelite because that's who my insurance called.
My car is a 2003 530i and the parts list on my invoice states:
1 miscfcw $339.00 Labor 111.00, kit- 40.00 extension $409.00

total $535.23
it says: replace with new 825274- part #51317059697--part #miscfcw po#436298..loc#/vindr#1542445
1 miscmold$45.23
It says replace with new 825275-misc molding
part#:miscmold..po#436298..loc#cindr#1542445
when it was installed I questioned if it was the correct one. My original one had a gray tint at the top and this one is green. I also have the rain sensors. the woman at the bmw dealer where the part was ordered said that all replacement windshields that have a tint at the top are all green so you can tell that it is not the original windshield.
Sorry this is so long, but wanted you to have all the info. Any input will be greatly appreciated, as Safelite is coming tomorrow and I would like to be informed when I speak with them. Thanks for any help...

Big Daddy

Same advice here, I know nothing about the technical install of the windshield, but like Tom said you should not have to put up with wind noise from an improper install or poor quality glass. I would calling my insurance agent and demanding he/she get this fixed!

kyoko

Same advice here, I know nothing about the technical install of the windshield, but like Tom said you should not have to put up with wind noise from an improper install or poor quality glass. I would calling my insurance agent and demanding he/she get this fixed![/QU

I appreciate your quick reply. If Safelite does not want to fix the problem I will be calling my insurance agent. Safelite claims they warranty their work for as long as you own your vehicle. I'll let you know what happens.

kyoko

A guy from Safelite came out to my house to look at my windshield and immediately asked if the guy who installed it was young. I told him yes, and he said that the young ones don't really know how to properly install bmw windshields. I let him read a copied post of the guy I found on an m5 site about how there is a gauge to check the spec and a 12 page technical service instructions for installing the bmw windshield, along with specific tools to carry out the job. He said yes that there was a certain way of doing bmw windshields and certain tools, and I told him what I was experiencing, and he thought he knew right away what it might be. That the guy just set it in without considering the windshield wipers. (I didn't know what that meant) After 30 min, he said he found a gp at least 4 inches where air could be coming in. He did something,(I'm not sure what) and said if that didn't work to call my ins. co and have Safelite re-do the whole thing. He also told me to ask that the guy who installed it, re-do it so he gets credit for it. I told him why should the guy who improperly installed it the first time do it a second time, and why not have you do it who says hes been doing it for 30 yrs. I didn't get that at all.
Well, it seems worse now, and I can see where there is a sort of tape thats seems loose that leads to the molding where there could be air coming in.
Like I said before, when the insurance co didn't want to put in bmw glass, I insisted. They asked me the vin # and ordered it from that. I do have rain sensors, and I've been hearing that there are differences in those windshields as well, but if they got it from the vin#, wouldn't they have ordered the correct one? Could this replacement glass be thinner(thus the increased road noise, or just not set in properly and with the correct molding. (it also looks as if they also used after market parts) The windshield is the dot windshield with the bmw logo on it though.
Also, I called the parts dept at the dealer to ask about the gauge, and the guy told me that they send their windshields out to Professional Auto Glass. And that if it's re-done, they have to break the glass to get it out. Do I have to have my insurance company order a whole new windshield before they can re-do it???
I'm a little confused, and want to be armed with the correct info when I speak to the ins co and SAfelite again.

kyoko

Look at this page from RealOem.com it has your windshield and options listed with part numbers.
Thanks very much. The numbers listed don't seem to match mine. They have down: replace with 825274- part # 51317059697. Does this mean that they put in the wrong one for my car?

I just went on the oem website and in putting in my vin 3 it came up e39 and the numbers match for the windshield part number that safelite has on my invoice, but no mention of the bmw molding-i'm going to call safelite.
Someone also mentioned the other day that wind noise near the windshield can come from missing or damaged jack pads from turn signal side markers. Where the heck do you find those on the car?

Last edited:

kyoko

My error, try this diagram using an E39, from RealOem., I assumed an E60, sorry!
Yes, that's the one I found too. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Do you know where on the car I have to look to find the plastic jack pads for the turn signal side markers? This guy says there are four of them 2 on front and 2 on back.

Do you know if it's true that you have to break a windshield to get it out? When I call my insurance back will they have to order a new one to have on hand in case they break it taking it out again?

Last edited: