What Causes Swirl Marks?

This may sound like a stupid question but what causes swirl marks?

I just received my new Mystic blue 330 and I want to make sure I don't do anything to mar the surface.

Thanks,
Dawn

flashinthepan

DigitalDawn said:
This may sound like a stupid question but what causes swirl marks?

I just received my new Mystic blue 330 and I want to make sure I don't do anything to mar the surface.

Thanks,
Dawn
Dirt & friction. In a nutshell.

With darker colors, the added reflection causes these marks to be far more visable.

I had a black 330Cic, its challenging keeping a dark colored vehicle clean and swirl-free, but there are lots of tips and products available to acheive this. Watch the "detailing" posts & do a search on "swirl" or "swirl marks". I have noticed the use of a Porter Cable Random Orbital buffer can be a lifesaver. I had good luck with Zaino products.

Swirl marks are caused by waxing, drying, polishing, etc... your car with an abrasive towel/rag or there is debris on your soft rag. Allways use a soft 100% cotton-terry-cloth towel and rub lightly.

Audible

DigitalDawn said:
Thanks for the replies.

So I guess that even local high-end car washes are probably not a good idea?

Dawn
I wouldn't trust a local car wash if you are worried about swirl marks. My rule is "nobody touches my car but me." Now, a professional detailer is a different matter, but that can be costly.

[driving2]

DigitalDawn said:
Thanks for the replies.

So I guess that even local high-end car washes are probably not a good idea?

Dawn
Depends on the car wash. Some places are pretty good and won't give you swirl marks, some places are bad. It's really more about what they (and you) use to dry the car. Using crappy towels to dry the car can cause swirls. In my experience with my car, I can create more swirl marks (or change around the current ones) when I'm waxing the car with Zaino and I buff it off with a cotton towel. Microfiber towels are much more gentle to my car's paint when it comes to buffing wax off.

DigitalDawn said:
I guess I'll be ordering from Wayne when I get back from vacation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dawn
I ordered some Ultimate Plush Towels from Wayne a while ago. The price is good and the quality is great. Purchase a Waffle Weave Towel for drying your car (one towel should dry the whole car).

DigitalDawn said:
I really appreciate all the tips.

Thanks guys.

Dawn

P.S. I have now learned to hate brake dust!
Brake dust is annoying, but easy to deal with. Just keep on top of cleaning it up. The longer you let it sit, the harder it is to get rid of. There are a lot of different methods to getting rid of brake dust (I personally use Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner spray), but as long as you keep continue to keep your wheels clean, it shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand, it's easy to spot some neglected wheels. Go take a look at any BMW and there will most likely be some almost-permanent brake dust on the wheels because the owners were too lazy to fully clean their wheels.

swirls are caused by a high speed rotary, not by hand washing. What you think are swirls are most likely marring or halo scratches caused by improper washing.

Swirls look like 3D halograms while marring takes on a circular appearance.

Swirls are removed by the same tool that intorduced them into the paint, which is a high speed rotary. Great caution needs to be used when operating a rotary as the heat and friction they build up can quickly burn through the paint.

Anthony

Swirls: trace, soft wax, vs microscratches

I disagree with prev posting, swirl marks are usually (in MHO) on top of the clearcoat and are as a result of wax thats still there and not completely buffed off or smoothed properly. If you can rub a finger accross a swirl mark, its in the wax or finish. If you can't ? its then in the clear-coat and is sometimes called micro-scratches or "spider-web" scratches. They show up especially in the reflection of a bright source of light like the sun.

I agree that one should use caution with a powered polisher/buffer, but the new random/orbitals are pretty safe. The old style ones that simply spin at a reasonably high speed are risky, not so with the Porter-Cable or DeWalt. Have a look at some of the other threads on use and look into the Detailing Guide on the autopia.com site too. There's a great detailed explanation on how to use R/O polishers.

Micro-scratches can be reduced by getting down to the clear-coat, using a great polish like Einzett, Zaino or Klasse's All in one, then put on a Sealant Glaze. I have a Jet-Black 330ci that shows microscopic traces of anything in the finish and got rid of them by doing these methods.

On washing? I will never let any machine wash brush touch the cars finish. Never go to a "community car-wash" and never let anyone else put a mitt on the car. One drop on the driveway... back into the bucket and then on your car and presto-cadabra... microscratches. A dirty car is better than a clean but scratched one. Get the kit from Wayne's towels, I need and use 2 waffle-weaves for drying and 3 Ultra-plush micro-fiber buffing towels for final prep.

Best of luck, look up the guide and you'll get a maintain a great finish.

Gary

Last edited: