Wax on the trim :-(

I have a Black 2004 3-Series, and like an idiot got careless waxing, with carnuba... How do you get it off the trim? (that black ribber/vinyl strip that runs down the side and along the bumpers)

Does anyone have any tricks to make waxing around the trim on my bimmer easier? I'm used to waxing my wife's boxster, and you can just slop it around, nothing to worry about!'

Thanks!

aNoodle's advice is right on. Take some time and visit www.autopia.org, which is the detailer’s web site. Use a search eng to narrow down the responses. Great how to site, with tons of knowledgeable auto detailers to share a wealth of info. Good luck and enjoy the ride dude!
[cheers]

black molding

You could possibly use that blue painters masking tape & cover it. You can be a little more liberal in your use and not be so exacting on where you apply the wax/polish. But, once it is on there, you'll need to cover it up with some sort of goop/grease/product to make it black again.

Just for the record, haven't tried that yet...Not sure what the neighbors would say if they saw me covering up the black trim bits with painters tape...

Johnny

you have many choices, but i would use something that helps trim to look better at the sametime. I really like Poorboys Natural Look. Its waterbased so no goopy greasy stuff. If you like goopy greasy stuff go for Meguires Gold Class trim . Its cheap and works good on dried wax. Sorry to go on a rant here but I love Poorboys NL. It restores rubber and vinyl to its original condition w/UV prot. I use it on doors and dash for my baby..aloha

dternst

To clean the trim, I'd suggest a product available from Top Of The Line called GR-40. This product removes the residue completely. For the future, use blue 3M painters tape. This tape is low adhesive and will remove wothout leaving adhesive residue.

I used P21S and it left white residue all over my trim. I used a wax remover product to carefully remove it. I think the trick there is like the directions say, wipe it off BEFORE it dries completely, then you avoid the residue.

Do any of these products for black trim not run when wet? I have used some water based ones and they run in the rain and leave grimy residue on the paint and windows. That sucks. I did see something at the dealer that looks like shoe polish like a permanent dye. I don't know if it's glossy though or if it protects the material. That would be cool.

For ease of use, I'd say that the goopy/slimy/other stuff works best. I use Black Again with a sponge and apply it to all of the trim bits. After I'm done, I go back with a white rag (any color will do) and carefully wipe everything down.

I just finished my wifes 5 year old 4-Runner and was sloppy and got the polish (Menzerna) and the wax (Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax) all over everything. Going back over everything with Black Again was an easy solution. However, I do still have some residue stuck in the crevices-door handles, weather stripping. Next weekend, perhaps I'll go back over the car with a bamboo shishkabob stick and gently get all of the residue out.

Johnny

Oh-the 4-Runner looks great!!!