Should I get the high-mileage E46?

Shiren79

First post!
I'm really crazy about E46 [:D]
I'm going to buy a E46 for a first car. Sedan or coupe, I don't care :)
Coupe would be better lol

By the way, the problem is, I don't have enough budget, about $11k.
So..I have to buy high-mileage E46 cuz of the money =(, like..100k miles.
One of my friends told me that high-mileage BMWs are really hard to care.
I mean, mostly 'cost'.
Maintenance(even more cost for high-mileage BMW), Gas, Insurance, etc etc..
And he said, the engine noise will be getting louder after 120k miles.
Even the well-maintenanced cars, too..
Well, I don't have much knowledge about BMW, so I couldn't deny that.

So uhh..
How much would be cost for high-mileage E46 per month?
Insurance, maintenance cost, etc..
And, about the noise, is that true??

Ahhh I really want to buy the E46.
But I have to think about my budget. [:(]

In my case, should I get the high-lieage E46?

Big Daddy

Hi Mack, I am not an E46 owner, but have some comments. High mileage BMW's are no more costly to maintain than low mileage BMW's. The difference is that a high mileage car may need a water pump, radiator, suspension, etc. But if this stuff has been maintained it is not an issue. Insurance nad gas costs are usually not affected by mileage. Not sure what he means by, "the engine noise getting louder after 120k". The engine noise is the same, I have owned many cars that went well over 200k and sure you might get some timing chain noise, or a lifter noise, but that is not "louder". How old are you? I would settle for a nicer lower mileage E36 and learn from there. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Shiren79

Hi Mack, I am not an E46 owner, but have some comments. High mileage BMW's are no more costly to maintain than low mileage BMW's. The difference is that a high mileage car may need a water pump, radiator, suspension, etc. But if this stuff has been maintained it is not an issue. Insurance nad gas costs are usually not affected by mileage. Not sure what he means by, "the engine noise getting louder after 120k". The engine noise is the same, I have owned many cars that went well over 200k and sure you might get some timing chain noise, or a lifter noise, but that is not "louder". How old are you? I would settle for a nicer lower mileage E36 and learn from there. Good luck and welcome to the board.
Thank you Big Daddy! [:D]
Well, I think he gave me wrong information..=(.
I guess he meant deterioration of components. You know, components are getting old, then they are making more noise..That would be not apply to well-maintenanced vehicle btw..
Well nevermind. I got the more reliable answers from you :D
I'll think about getting E36. Not my favorite type..but whatever :D
Thanks a lot again.
p.s-I'm 19yrs old, btw.

hey ive been owning my 2001 325i e46 for a couple of months now and it has no difference than any other car.. sure it might have 100k on the odometer right now but its still running nice and well and ive had no problems with the car, maintaining and anything else. If you really like the e46 line then go for it, i plan on keeping mine for a very long time, sending it well over 200k if i get the chance

Wilkommen an Bord!

Granted I've never owned a "modern" BMW with over 100K miles, but my 1989 325is Cabrio with almost 100k miles cost me about $3000.00 a year in maintenance. When she ran, it was awesome....but older BMWs were very costly, and quite problem prone. The E36 is better than the E30, and IMO the E46 is better than the E36. I am fairly certain, that I would take a fully optioned new 2005 E46, over a fully optioned new 2008 E90.

With any make of car, the higher the mileage the more likely the repairs will be needed. Mechanical parts wear down, and electroninc components go out.

Just make sure the car has a clean Carfax, clear title, and really make an effort to see all service repairs and records. Dealer maintained, or cars serviced by a BMW mechanic are a bettet bet. Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Shiren79

Thank you filipin0yboi, deutsch100, Big Daddy..There would be not much problems with high mileage vehicle, so I'll take the E46..I made my dicision because of you guys..Thank you VERY much!! :D

You kill me.. :D

100k miles on a BMW engine is just 'breaking it in'. BMW's are what they are because of the engine - it's solid and dependable if taken care of. Reports of 400k+ on engines before needing a rebuild are pretty common stories. (IF, taken care of properly!)

2000, 2001 models are all approaching or likely 'over' 100k miles. Good time to get a low priced dependable 2nd car (or toy!), especially with the E90 out now in all models, the E46 is affordable and solid.

The problems E46's have are all minor (window regulators, CAB's, etc etc - wear n tear stuff), no drivetrain or engine problems/recalls reported in the line for any year. Only thing I ever remember being a E46 issue were early 2001 models with 'drive by wire' steering issues, or feeling 'floaty' until the fix is done (software I believe).

GL with the purchase!