Nicks and Pitts in Headlight covers

brianb

I read the thread about what to put on them to maintain them, but is there anything that will make them clearer or do I need to replace them? If I replace them, can I just replace the cover, or does the whole headlight assembly have to go?

Brian

Novus 1, 2 and 3 will remove scratches..., but nicks and pitts..., I would not count on it.
You would have to remove way too much material.
Not sure about replacements for your car, would be best to call a dealer.

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
I'm in the same boat, brian. My nose mask works great on road trip, but doesn't cover the light covers. At 110,000 I'm beginning to see the wear.

(I will say, I popped them out, I think last summer, and cleaned the inside...what a difference!...they had gotten a flim on the inside over time...I just used a mild soap and water and was careful not to scratch them from the inside.)

I think we'll just have to plan on putting in new covers at some point.

aNoodle said:
I'm in the same boat, brian. My nose mask works great on road trip, but doesn't cover the light covers. At 110,000 I'm beginning to see the wear.

(I will say, I popped them out, I think last summer, and cleaned the inside...what a difference!...they had gotten a flim on the inside over time...I just used a mild soap and water and was careful not to scratch them from the inside.)

I think we'll just have to plan on putting in new covers at some point.
OMG 110,000 miles? on a 1999 ? Did i read that wrong?
We have a 91 350 SDL mercedes (hate it, ugly boat) that has 105,000 miles.
8 YEARS DIFF!!

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
brianb said:
How did you pop them out? I wasn't sure they came off separately. When I look for parts I only see them sell the entire headlight assembly.

Brian
Oh, definitely. The clear shields just come off when you lift on those plastic points. Becareful not to break them cuz they get brittle with time. Do you have a bentley manual? They describe exactly where you need to press. You have to pop out the side markers first and the lower trim. No tools are needed as I remember...this was last summer.