How do I open my hood? 1987 325e

jugrote

Hi everyone,

First time posting here -- I bought a 1987 325e a few weeks ago, and a couple days ago I left the lights on and drained the battery. Should be no problem with a jumpstart, but I can't figure out how to open the hood! I flick the lever by the steering column and hear something clicking under the hood, but can't see where to open it. I checked around on the Web: http://en.allexperts.com/q/BMW-Repair-805/Opening-engine-hood.htm -- and it's not specific enough to help me out. I could use a visual of where to find the latch, either where to stick the screwdriver or where I can stick my finger to engage the latch, because I can't see where this latch is. Help!

Thanks much,
Justin
Boston, MA

Here ya go:
This is on the drivers side of the front grill, beside the highbeam. Use a flashlight and you can see a hole between the two bolts:

I took the grill off so you can see better... see how there's a space that looks like it'll fit a flat head screwdriver?:

Use a nice long thin tipped screwdriver, jam it in the hole and turn it clockwise, and voila! There's your hood opened.

Damnit, I'm too good to the noob! [headbang]

I mean, I'm sick right now, it's minus 6 degrees celcius, and I got up and took the grill off my moms car to show the noobie how to open the hood. I'm not even sure if this is what he's talking about.
I can just see it:

(1) He's pulled the hood release cable, but the hood shock is probably shot, so it's not lifting the hood up. All he would need to do is go to the front and lift the hood.

or...

(2) He's pulled the cable, the hood has popped up, and he's looking under the front of the hood for the safety catch (which of course there isn't one because the hood opens backwards.)

...just to find that the battery is in the trunk.

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh! 'twas no problem at all! You're welcome! Glad I could be of service... glad I could show you two how to open the hood of an e30!! Who knew I could teach Dan something new?!!! [hihi] I though you would have known, Joseph!

Dan, would it be the same sort of deal on your M Roadster? (with the hood opening the other way and all.)[scratch] I haven't checked my E34 yet.

I kinda want to go around parking lots with a big flat head screwdriver popping E30 hoods all day![headbang]

Big Daddy

Nope my roadster hood opens from the front, my 91 318is opened from the rear. I like the e30 hood opening style better. Or was that not what you were asking? The lock mech on the roadster is barely accessable on the roadster, not sure what I would do if the cable broke, I'd better check that out.

Nope my roadster hood opens from the front, my 91 318is opened from the rear. I like the e30 hood opening style better. Or was that not what you were asking? The lock mech on the roadster is barely accessable on the roadster, not sure what I would do if the cable broke, I'd better check that out.
yeah, that's what I meant, I know it's hinged at the firewall, but I'm assuming the latch is probably in the same general area... now you get to use some of your spare time trying to open your hood without the cable release... 'cause it's gunna bug you not knowing, isn't it?[;)] It's probably easy!