Cleaning instrument-cluster question

ronopolis

I recently had my '96 328i semi-detailed (upscale car wash) and I swear now that the plast that covers the instrument cluster (speedo, tach...) is slightly fogged.

So A) what *should* I be using to clean this plastic, and B) how do I undo the damage?????

thanks,

rjv

ronopolis said:
I recently had my '96 328i semi-detailed (upscale car wash) and I swear now that the plast that covers the instrument cluster (speedo, tach...) is slightly fogged.

So A) what *should* I be using to clean this plastic, and B) how do I undo the damage?????

thanks,

rjv
Fogged?
Do you mean there is condensation "behind" the panel or fogged as in the plastic is unclear because of small scratches?

For polishing plastic, I recommend Novus 1 and 2...

ronopolis

It is "foggy", not scratched. At first I thought "Oh, they've left some residue, a kind of film, as they took a cloth and washed this". But then I tried to rub it off and it wouldn't come off. It isn't a "solid" fog, but kind of like little puffy "clouds" of fog, if that makes any sense. And it isn't super dark, but I can definitely see it, and even more so at night when it is back-lit. It acts as if it *is* on the inside, but I dont' see how that could be.

If it is moisture, you might want to gently heat the plastic panel with a blow dryer to evaporate the water.

Nataku said:
If it is moisture, you might want to gently heat the plastic panel with a blow dryer to evaporate the water.
Or sit the car in the sun..., or-
Take the car back and have them repair the problem- or take it to a dealer for repair and bill the detailer(after giving them first chance of course:)

ronopolis

I'll give the blow-dryer a shot, why not (and the Novus 1/2). My gut feel is that it *is* on the inside, which just baffles me as to how they could have done this. But Nataku is right, maybe I just need to talk to the detailing place and talk to them.

Plexus is a good product to try. You can find it on the web or check around motorcycles shops. This is the stuff that is supposed to be used on the Stealth airplane canopies.

To me it is like a glass cleaner for plastics.