Buffers...

Dave8812

I've been searching around for a while now and have a few questons. Some sites claim that buffers/motorized polishers will do magic with your paint. Others say to stay away from them and just use a microfiber or chaimos. What do you guys do? I found this one that actually just vibrates instead of spinning, and it's reasonably priced...

http://www.properautocare.com/veprcipo.html

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
I have an orbital buffer, and I never use it any more. I find it's more work than just using a cloth. You gotta keep the pads real clean to avoid spider webs. The pads are more expensive than 100% cotton towels, or "microfiber"/polyester if you're into those. I don't know. I used mine for a while, then just got away from it. It's so much work holding that thing up against the sides of the car. I suppose on the tops it's easier, but I find changing out the pads is more work than just grabbing another clean towel. I never saw any difference in the way the car looked.

I have a PC 7336 and use it from time to time. I use it when I do my once to twice a year major detail and when I do someone elses neglected car (friend, neighbor...).

When the paint is in good shape I prefer to do it by hand, but when the paint has a lot of micro marring, I definitely grab the randon orbitor.

I have the PC and use it every time I apply liquid wax to my car. I find it is extremely easy to use and, after some practice, it is very fast. The pads do require some cleaning but that is not a problem and new pads don't cost that much.

I buff the wax off by hand with a microfiber towl.

[driving2]

ProTour

Using a Dewalt 443

Hello, [sing] I just purchased a DeWalt 443 random orbital with a 5 or 6 inch pad space. I bought a yellow and gray\black foam applicator pad.

Now I just bought a used 2001 740i in Anthrcite. After a solid wash and claybar I used the yellow pad with a polish. I was most satisfied with the results. Key was getting the pad moist to begin with and use only about 6 SMALL dabs of polish for a 2x2 area. As soon as I was done, I used a miro fiber towel and it removed very easily.

After th polish, I used the gray pad with a carnumba wax and pretty much just as easy on and off as with the polish. Personally, I think the machine works for me in that it makes quick work of the detail time and I could not detect ANY adverse marks left from the method. I think that using the right pad for the job is key though.

I saw in the detail forum that Waynes Towels has the 443 on sale for 129 and it qualifies for free shipping I believe. That's a great deal and it is a better machine than the porter cable, in my opinion.