Brush For Alloy Wheels

Hi, I own a 2001 VW Passat with Alloy wheels. I didnt wash my car for a few months which caused the rear wheels to have this black dust on them, that will not come off with soap and a regular wheel brush. I tried an SOS Pad on a small remote spot. It worked but scratched the spot. Is there another brush or pad that is effective in removing the black crud but will not scratch the wheels?
thanks,

It is brake dust. Try some really aggressive wheel cleaner, such as Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray the stuff on and scrub vigorously with a wheel brush (make sure to use a specific "wheel brush", other brushes may harm the wheel). You may need to do some serious spraying & scrubbing before the brake dust even starts to come off. If that doesn't work, purchase a clay bar kit from your local auto supply store. It should get the job done.

Don't use an aggressive wheel cleaner. You will damage your wheels but not nearly as bad as you did with the SOS pad. Griots Garage wheel cleaner or P21S. Both wheel cleaners are BBS approved and are great for what you have. If you use P21S get the gel, spray it on a cool wheel and let it sit, then use a lambswool pad (not the same one you use to wash your car) and go over the wheels and scrub them clean (you will get cramps in your fingers but, oh well). You can use a wheel brush too but I find that technique misses too many spots.

I get my stuff from these sites:
www.griotsgarage.com
www.autogeek.net

[driving2]

There is another alternative for a brush. Go to an automotive auto supply parts store. They should stock a parts cleaning brush that garages use in their solvent tanks.It has kinda soft nylon-type bristles that taper to about a 1/4''. The bristles are firm enough to clean really well, but keep their shape. It will not scratch the coating at all..I have found it works perfect..good luck..it cost about 6 bucks canadian..about 4 or so US