Bad looking paint.....

Dave8812

As most of you know I have an OLD BMW. It's paint is really fading and the clear coat has been peeling for a while. Is there anything i can do to make this peeling (makes my black paint look white) blend in more, or get rid of the flakey stuff? (untill i can get enough money for a paint job[rolleyes]) Any suggestions would be great[thumb]

Heres what it looks like..... I'll try to get a better example tomorrow...

Attachments

epj3

Try the meguiars 3 step paint treatment -- step one (all bottles are about $4 a piece and will take you a few hours); after washing the car thorougly, apply the step 1 paint conditioner and cleaner - this will really de-oxidize your paint.

Step 2 is a polish which is obviously a followup of the first step
Step 3 is a caranauba wax. I think I would put atleast 2 coats of this on if i were you.

Your paint looks like it SERIOUSLY needs these 3 things.

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
lpquick said:
If your clear coat is peeling, you can spend hours trying to make it look better, but there's really nothing you can do, but have it repainted. Sorry dude!
I'm with lpquick. I'm not so sure any sort of wax/polish/protectant is going to be all that worth it. It might help mask it a bit. But by the looks of the pic, I'm guessing that's some serious oxidation. I think if your black paint is going white, you are looking at the base coat below the black paint...the clear coat is long gone. Maybe there's some product out there, but I would probably save any expensive waxes or sealants or any of that stuff for a new paint job.

Again, what a beautiful car. I wish I was fixing one up. What a classic.

I third that. The cheapest product that I can think of that might hide (remove some) of the oxidation is ColorX by Megs. It might work as a bandaid, a bad one at that.

Dave8812

Alright... thanks for the responses . I guess i'll just keep it as clean as I can untill a new paint job. I might also give it a go with the Meguiars stuff epj suggested.

i doubt u have a clear coat - where did u get that information from?
my paint was heavily oxidezed, and today i used some polish on it
much better and a huge difference.

Dave8812

My dad had it repainted a while ago. And he said they put the OEM paint, and the OEM clear coat (i guess it came stock with the car). If a take off a little piece of the flaking paint, it is clear. It is also very oxidiezed underneath the clear coat (on the black paint). If i get a pic of the roof and trunk lid, you'll be able to see what i'm sayin'. I'll try to get those sometime this week.