3 series versus 5 series

jniels

Hi there- I am in the market for a used BMW and am trying to decide between the 3 series and 5 series. Besides size, are there any other big differences in terms of performance between them? Also, is there a place I can get more information on specific years and models besides consumer reports? Any other advice about buying a used BMW (outside of the usual due diligence, carfax, etc)

This board is great, I'm excited about driving my first BMW!

Size is the biggest difference. Frequently the 3 and the 5 will have the same engine. For example the 2004 330i and the 2004 530i. The 3 has a smaller, lighter body so it should have a little better fuel economy and a little better accelaration. I always say go with the smallest body that will suit your needs. If you want a certain option like all wheel drive or a station wagon, it's easier to find a 3 than a 5. I don't think much of Consumer Reports' reviews but they do spell out the years and models available pretty clearly. 3s tend to be more performance oriented than 5s but that's not always the case. For example, a 5 with the performance package may handle better than a 3 without it. I think you have to test drive each car to get a feel for it.

But beware, once you test a BMW you won't want to drive anything else!

I always find that the 5 has a much more grounded, solid feel to it (speaking of my 2 cars differences here)... my 3 feels more agile, toss-able, and peppy, but lacks the comfort at high speeds. The 5 cruises very nicely at high speed and feels very balanced. Plus people fit in the back seat of the 5 without having to appologize to the them about not having a big back seat like in the 3.

jniels

Thanks!

Size is the biggest difference. Frequently the 3 and the 5 will have the same engine. For example the 2004 330i and the 2004 530i. The 3 has a smaller, lighter body so it should have a little better fuel economy and a little better accelaration. I always say go with the smallest body that will suit your needs. If you want a certain option like all wheel drive or a station wagon, it's easier to find a 3 than a 5. I don't think much of Consumer Reports' reviews but they do spell out the years and models available pretty clearly. 3s tend to be more performance oriented than 5s but that's not always the case. For example, a 5 with the performance package may handle better than a 3 without it. I think you have to test drive each car to get a feel for it.

But beware, once you test a BMW you won't want to drive anything else!
Thanks to both of the respondents so far. I'm really looking forward to test driving both models this summer!