Waxing wheels and cleaning interior...

Hey,

I was just curious of a few things. First off, is it necessary to wax your wheels just the way you wax your paint? I thought people do this just because it makes it easier to remove the brake dust, but then I thought about it and new car wheels go through a paint process similar to the body of the car (primer, wheel paint, and then clear coat), so maybe wheels do need to be waxed???
And how do you all go about cleaning your interiors? Every 3 months when I do my full wash and wax, here is what I do to the interior: I use Zaino Leather Cleaner and Zaino Leather Conditioner on all the leather. I shampoo my carpets with some Armorall carpet cleaner stuff. Then I take a damp towel (by soaking the towel in a bucket of water) and I wipe down the whole dash....the titanium/aluminum center dash part where the radio and climate controls and navi screen are, the whole front dash, the insides of the doors, the rear of the car where the side dash is...basically whatever isn't leather is going to get rubbed with my damp towel (aside from the ceiling of the interior). Should I be using something else? I've always found those Armorall (or whatever company) dash cleaner thingies to give my dash a very unnatural shine that I absolutely hate, so I have just been relying on the power of water.

Oh and while I'm at it, how do I get rid of those baked on water spots on my sunroof and windshield? I believe another member posted on what to use for it....it was something along the lines of vinegar and water or something like that.

Thanks,
MrElussive

If your wheels are painted or clear coated, a sealant will work better and last longer than wax.
It helps protect them plus makes cleaning easier.
I also recommend using ceramic pads for even easier clean-up.

If you do not like the shine and oily look of Armor-All and other similar products, Einszett makes a product that has no shine, no reflection, no dust attraction and has UV inhibitors to protect from cracking or fading- Einszett Cockpit Premium.

For water stains, first try white distilled vinegar with a towel. If that does not work, try mineral spirits, then clean with a good winshield cleaner. You should also clay the windshiels, it does make a difference in the rain.

You are welcome to email me for more info:)

I have been using 303 on my interior--dash, door panels, rubber lining the doors, plastic around the seat bases. It makes it look like new and does not give it that cheap greasy shine that products like Armor All do. It is also a UV protectant. They say it can be used on leather too but I prefer Leatherique for that. 303 is also great for black rubber and plastic on the outside of the car.

[driving]

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just applied a coat of Zaino Z-2 (using ZFX) to my wheels, and finished off the job with some Z-6 and a towel (obviously, I let the Z-2 haze over and buffed it off before the Z-6). Anybody have any good recommendations for a specific wheel wax, or a wax that will last for at least 3 months on my wheels?

Heat is the enemy of any protectant, carnauba or polymer. And your front brakes will heat the wheels up pretty well. How long the wax will last will be up to your driving habits, but I venture to guess that 4-5 weeks will just about be the limit on your wax. Wayne's right though, a polymer wax will be your best bet for wheels.

Oh man, 4-5 WEEKS? That's barely seems worth it. Damn as if there weren't enough things on your car that needs cleaning and waxing and blah blah blah, now I gotta worry about waxing my wheels. [bash]

You would be lucky to get 4-5 weeks with a sealant on wheels. They just get too hot!

For my weekly clients they usually get their wheels protected every 2 weeks. Regular washes should keep the brake dust from pitting the wheels.

If you can find a way to give your car a negative charge as the wheels turn then nothing will stick to your wheels........if anyone invents this I would like a cut of the profits [:D]

Anthony