Water spots after rain.

rescuer87

I live in the SF Bay Area, near San Jose. I thought we did not have acid rain. Today it rained for the first time since I got my new car. I thought it was no big deal. I have a quality wax on the car and I thought the rain was pure. This evening, after the rain dried, I tried removing some of the waterspots with quick detailer and a MF towel. They wont come off. What do I do and how do I prevent these in the future. Do most people just live with these?

They're probably baked-on water spots. Basically, it rained on your car and the sun dried up the water, but the minerals in the water probably just got "baked on" by the sun. You can get rid of them in a few different ways.
1.) You could try an application of 3M Rubbing Compound, followed by an application of 3M Swirl Mark Remover, followed by an application of whatever car wax you like to use. Since your car is new, you should be able to skip the first step with the 3M Rubbing Compound. That is a more abrasive cleaner which is better to restore older paint in worse condition.
2.) Give your car an "acid bath". Take vinegar and wipe your car down with a towel or wax applicator pad. I believe this solution works the best. Also, follow this with a nice car wax.

P.S. Don't do what I suggested until other members express their opinions on resolving your situation and also keep in mind that my advice is based on the fact that hopefully it's just water spots and not acid rain. I have water spots all over my paint also...unfortunately, it's one of those things you pretty much just "live" with.

Go up in the abrasiveness of the different products in steps. This way you won't use something harsher than you need with the added possibilities of making the situation worse. Just keep trying the different products in an inconspicuous area starting with the less abrasive first.

I would recommend P21S Paintwork Cleanser, that's what I have used to remove stubborn water spots.

You could try Meguires detail spray and clay. I dont live in an area that has acid rain but the bimmers we work on have come from your area and if just one time of rain on your paint has allready caused the damage it causes please get a garage!!! If claying doesnt work you might want to try the paintwork cleanser someone else mentioned.

If you got the time I would suggest wash and clay the whole car , try the least aggressive product first , petroleum based polish maybe , speed glaze, a swirl and scratch remover . You'll probably have cured the problem by then. So now time for the preventative measures. After clay and polish get some quality paint sealant . put two coats of that . I like Poorboys EX and EX-P , or 4* Ultimate Paint Protection. Then top with a non-cleaner wax x's 2 . Use your detailing spray between washes and you'll be a happy camper ..You can PM me for more details if you'd like. Aloha

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
rescuer87 said:
This evening, after the rain dried, I tried removing some of the waterspots with quick detailer and a MF towel. They wont come off.....
Hold the phone! You just dialed in some of the best auto detailers on the web implying you have baked-on problems. You've got them all worked up, like some winged bomber just let loose on your hood and it sat there in the sun for a few days.

I may have skipped a beat here, but no single days rain in this world....even Cairo or Mexico City...can permanently eat through your well-waxed car (you said it had wax on it, right?).

Did you wash the car with soap and water, not just spraying some 'quick detailer' on a towel?

rescuer87

They Came Off

Yeah, I washed they car a couple weeks ago and they came right off. It seeemed that the longer they were on, the easier they came off. Might have something to do with the wax? Thanks for all the help. Also, how often should I apply 1Z Glanz Wax. Can I wax it with this too often? I wash my car every to weeks. Is it okay to just apply it to the hood if it seems thinner there than the rest of the car?