This problem is (Bug)ging me

I need to know the best way to remove bug guts from my car. I usually have no issue in this arena, but since I have started hitting these little bastards at 130+ mph.......they don't just wash off, there is like a little stain left on the paint. How do I remove this without damage to my paint?[idea]

Mad easy. Purchase a bug & tar remover. I have one and it does the job very well with tree sap, although I have not had much experience when it comes to bugs and their guts.

when you use the bug and tar remover it will also remove wax, so you will have to rewax the area. if you keep the front of your car waxed, it will help. I use meguiars paint/clearcoat cleaner to remove bugs when a car wash won't do it.

I'll go check to see about the tar remover, but I've got tree sap all over my silver truck and my car. It appears that a tree close to my driveway (not over it, just close) is spraying sap on the two when the wind blows or something. I almost lost it when I saw it all over my car. Just very small droplets of tea-colored sap all over both of them. I couldn't get it off with just soap and elbow grease.
I read on a google-search to use denatured alcohol or mineralized spirits... what are mineralized spirits?
I'm going to get out there this afternoon because I've read that it isn't good to let it sit for a couple of days.

Lucas, just pickup a bug & tar remover from your local shopping mart. I guarantee you the stuff will come off incredibly easy. But if the sap is all over both cars, you may wanna remove the sap, do a Dawn wash and wax the cars. Because as Abdoman stated, the bug & tar remover does remove wax as well.

Lucas said:
I read on a google-search to use denatured alcohol or mineralized spirits... what are mineralized spirits?
I'm going to get out there this afternoon because I've read that it isn't good to let it sit for a couple of days.
Mineral Spirits is Paint Thinner. Be sure to use sparingly and re-wax.

Just got them off too!

Here's what I did last Sunday:

1) wet the whole front area with the carcasses with a Detailing spray, I happen to use Mothers.

2) put a Kleenex over the affected area and re-soak the kleenex.

3) wait 5 minutes max. You dont want the DS to dry, and make sure you do it in the shade, no direct sunlight.

4) "float" the whole mess off with a thick stream of water from the hose, Dont spray with ANY force! the little critters have hard shells and may scratch and obviously dont rub or wipe them off.

5) wash with double soap in bucket rinsing often and little/no pressure on the mitt

That got them right off for me.

Stubborn guts? wash again and use water and continually mist it on for 15 minutes soaking them well then wash as above.

Still there? you need a solvent like bug and tar remover. careful.

and possibly a claybar treatment in that area only, go lightly.

that should get 'em.

anything to add Wayne?

and finally, after washing, re-wax that area at least and if you have to, use dawn dish soap for the washing.

best of luck.

Gary

I appreciate the suggestions. I picked up a bottle of bug & tar remover (made by turtlewax) and went to work Thursday afternoon.... then continued on Friday... I was able to get about 85-90% of it off. The car pretty much came clean and the truck was coming along at a very slow pace. Then it seemed as if the sap became immune and refused to come off. It could have something to do with me running out of elbow grease. My arms were jello all weekend. There's still a 2'x3' area on the pick-ups hood that has the sap on it. The bad thing is I'm trying to sell the thing and I'm not showing it to anyone till I'm able to get this stuff off.

Anyone ever use a claybar?

Get a hammer, putty knife and chisel..., NOOOO!!! (j/k:)

Try Porsche Tequipment Bug Remover.
Bug guts are highly acidic and can quickly etch into the clear on a car. If you have bugs on your car, it's best to remove them as quickly as possible.

More importantly than removing the bugs..., is to remove them SAFELY!!