teflon car care series by dupont

It’s a quandary, as Teflon (a.k.a. tetrafluoroethylene) is the slipperiest substance known to man. Think of its carbon atoms as your pathetically whipped pal and its fluorine atoms as his hell-beast girlfriend. They bond so tightly that carbon can’t spend time with buddies like oxygen, hydrogen, and fried eggs. But Teflon obviously sticks to something…“It’s applied like paint,” explains James Forte, DuPont’s global Teflon brand manager. “First a bonding primer is applied and heated to 150 degrees. Then two coats of Teflon are added. Finally, the pan is heated to about 800 degrees to bond it all together.” And the story with the bonding primer is…“That’s a patented secret,” says Forte

"So, unless you are heating your paint to 800 degrees (I sure hope not), it will just wipe away"

Teflon is a trade name of Du Pont Chemicals for a polymer, mentioned earlier as polytetrafluoroethylene, aka PTFE. Teflon is an example of a polymer that is not well suited for use in a car wax because of several other properties unrelated to it's durable slippery nature. Teflon is powder that melts at 150 - 175 degrees F or disolves in fluorinated solvents such as freon. Those are the only known ways to make teflon into a liquid form. This is the main reason that teflon is poorly suited for car wax. If it can't be made into a liquid, it can't be made into a coating. If it won't coat the surface, it won't stay there. Teflon is a powder that gets wiped away with the other powders in a wax or polish.

Hope this helps...

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Interesting, Wayne. Yeah, Teflon has been showing up in a lot of household products...Mop & Glow with Teflon...and Toilet bowl cleaners with Teflon. They seem to be trying to get it in just about anything, trading on their name. It can't possibly work like a Teflon pan.

Here's a questioin. Why don't they make a carbon black colored car with true Teflon surfaces? I guess the wieght would be too much.

aNoodle said:
Interesting, Wayne. Yeah, Teflon has been showing up in a lot of household products...Mop & Glow with Teflon...and Toilet bowl cleaners with Teflon. They seem to be trying to get it in just about anything, trading on their name. It can't possibly work like a Teflon pan.

Here's a questioin. Why don't they make a carbon black colored car with true Teflon surfaces? I guess the wieght would be too much.
Yeah Noodle, I think it would add a couple hundred pounds. My Dad has an air-boat; he had a layer of teflon added to the bottom of the boat so that it would glide easier over land and stumps. It ended up being about 3/4 of an inch thick and really added some weight to the boat.

REAL teflon is applied like a paint. Companies are just using properties of teflon or something like it and calling it good, trying to use it as a marketing scheme.

I saw a TV ad for it yesterday that caught my attention. Heck if it's not too expensive, I'd try it! More than likely it's just another polymer wax though.

vlad said:
I saw a TV ad for it yesterday that caught my attention. Heck if it's not too expensive, I'd try it! More than likely it's just another polymer wax though.
Anyone know how they would get it to "bond" to the surfce without burning the paint off using 700-800 degree heat?
(hint- "marketing" is able to do anything:)

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
vlad said:
I just went underneith my sink and pulled out Mop & Glow "Triple Action Floor Shine Cleaner." It is manufactured by Reckitt Benckisser Inc of Wanye, NJ. It advertises prominantly on the front that it contains "Teflon Only By DuPont." Registered trademark. "Cleans and Shines, Protects with Teflon Surface Protector."

It's gotta be some sort of sythetic wax. It can't have much to do with a Teflon pan. It has to be a spin off of their trademark which everybody has some recognition of, but it's gotta be something entirely different...now it's showing up in car waxes?!?

I'm not putting Mop & Glo on my 3 Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teflon has been advertised as a wax/sealant additive in many products for years.
Teflon is in the products that advertise they contain them..., unfortunately, Teflon does not bond to the pain or add to the protection..., just marketing hype for the average consumer that is not educated in the detailing process...,
Not very honest advertising in my opinion..., the Teflon is mostly wiped off when you wipe off the wax or sealant.

Funny,

I just talked to a guy that works for a car cleaning company. He (and more companies, just checked the internet) can seal the paint with a teflon wax for about 350 dollars.... they give you a 3 year warranty (I checked with insurance companies.....the warranties are real) for new cars and a 1,5 year warranty on older ones. It is supposed to bond with the paint and will not bond with dirt. After this treatment, no wax is needed; just water with a little bit of shampoo.

I use Zaino on my own car and was interested in this product. I was going to start a new topic on this site but noticed manuel already did. Does anybody know something about these treatments? (and I´m sure it´s not a f*cked up marketing thing, a lot of companies offer it, including companies with a reputation)

Thanks!

"James Forte, DuPont’s global Teflon brand manager. “First a bonding primer is applied and heated to 150 degrees. Then two coats of Teflon are added. Finally, the pan is heated to about 800 degrees to bond it all together.”

WOW!!! These guys must be really good..., not burning the paint and interior at 800 degrees..., maybe they know something Dupont manager does not know..., Hmmm...

I havea question on that zaino stuff, sorry i didn't want ot make a whole new thread for a question.

I finally ordered it, and the guy i called told me i should get z-1..... I did, but i don't remeber wayne telling me in any steap to use z-1. What does z-1 do?
So far i ordered
z-1
z-2
z-5
z-6
z-7
z-12
z-16
and z-18, am i forgetting sumthing [:X] >? and whats the z-1 for???? [:X]

Last edited:
Z-1 is applied before Z-2 as a "cleaner/conditioner" to help in the bonding process.
ZFX, IMO is a better choice, but Z-1 works too:)
(ZFX lets the Z-2 dry faster asd gives a little more durability)

waynestowels said:
Z-1 is applied before Z-2 as a "cleaner/conditioner" to help in the bonding process.
ZFX, IMO is a better choice, but Z-1 works too:)
(ZFX lets the Z-2 dry faster asd gives a little more durability)
ERR ARG im so mad, i wish you would hvae told me that b4 i ordered [?|] [8] [bash] [hatchet] [bigcry] [:(!]

epj--->[kick]<----Me

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Here's a good article on Dupont's teflon.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/08/business/yourmoney/08teflon.html?hp

"DuPont, Now in the Frying Pan
By AMY CORTESE
Published: August 8, 2004
Tony Kemp for The New York Times

TEFLON has been hugely successful for DuPont, which over the last half-century has made the material almost ubiquitous, putting it not just on frying pans but also on carpets, fast-food packaging, clothing, eyeglasses and electrical wires - even the fabric roofs covering football stadiums.

Now DuPont has to worry that Teflon and the materials used to make it have perhaps become a bit too ubiquitous. Teflon constituents have found their way into rivers, soil, wild animals and humans, the company, government environmental officials and others say. Evidence suggests that some of the materials, known to cause cancer and other problems in animals, may be making people sick.

While it remains one of DuPont's most valuable assets, Teflon has also become a potentially huge liability. The Environmental Protection Agency filed a complaint last month charging the company with withholding evidence of its own health and environmental concerns about an important chemical used to manufacture Teflon. That would be a violation of federal environmental law, compounded by the possibility that DuPont covered up the evidence for two decades.

DuPont contends that it met its legal reporting obligations, and said that it plans to file a formal response this week.

If an E.P.A. administrative judge does not agree, the agency could fine the company up to $25,000 a day from the time DuPont learned of potential problems with the chemical two decades ago until Jan. 30, 1997, when the agency's fines were raised, and $27,500 a day since then. The total penalty could reach $300 million. The agency is also investigating whether the suspect chemical, a detergentlike substance called perfluorooctanoic acid, is harmful to human health, and how it has become so pervasive in the environment. The chemical - which is more commonly known as PFOA or C-8, for the number of carbon atoms in its molecular structure - has turned up in the blood of more than 90 percent of Americans, according to samples taken from blood banks by the 3M Company beginning in the mid-90's. Until it got out of the business in 2000, 3M was the biggest supplier of PFOA. DuPont promptly announced it would begin making the substance itself......"