Taking off Carnuba, surface still rough, needs claybar

What should I use to take off Mothers Carnuba wax to be able to claybar it?

Also, Zaino recommends Dawn dishsoap for deep cleaning b4 waxing, the surface seems rough since I did this. any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary

After claying and polishing, there will be no trace of wax left.

To "smooth" the surface, polish and clay, then wash with Dawn or Z-7 before applying Zaino.

Check out the link below.
I also have poly clay on sale- 3 for $20 or $7.99ea:) (not listed on the web site yet...)

I would wash it with dawn real good to strip everything and use a clay bar .Waynes sounds like agreat deal to me. I'm sure he has the detailing spray to go with the clay. You keep spraying the clay and the surface for easy gliding . Kind of like when you wet sand a car . The results are amazing . When claying look real close and you can see the tiny dots of debris getting pulled into the clay. after that your paint willl feel smooth and ready for some polish and/or wax of your choice. Wipe off using microfiber towels ..

waynestowels said:
After claying and polishing, there will be no trace of wax left.

To "smooth" the surface, polish and clay, then wash with Dawn or Z-7 before applying Zaino.

Check out the link below.
I also have poly clay on sale- 3 for $20 or $7.99ea:) (not listed on the web site yet...)
"HELP, Wayne."

"I'm a little confused..."

Do I understand [correctly] the order should be...???

1st) Wash with Dawn.
2nd) Clay Bar with lubricant.
3rd) Polish.
4th) Wax.

I'm still trying to get it straight. Thankx...

paddyLV said:
"HELP, Wayne."

"I'm a little confused..."

Do I understand [correctly] the order should be...???

1st) Wash with Dawn.
2nd) Clay Bar with lubricant.
3rd) Polish.
4th) Wax.

I'm still trying to get it straight. Thankx...
If using "wax", you are correct:)

If using Zaino, I recommend washing either with Dawn or a strong solution mix of Z-7, After you have finished polishing and Before applying Zaino protectant(Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5).
You "have to" remove and oils, silicones, etc, etc, that the polishes left behind for Zaino to cross-link and bond correctly to have the best results and the added durability...,

Wayne, This is like your speaking another language to me. Just the other day i was planning on waxing my car because you said that even with a clearcoat, that doesn't mean i don't have to wax. But know im hearing people are not just waxing, they are polishing, clay baring, using special towels, etc etc..

My family has had a share of new mercedes, bmws, and porsches, and frankly, we never waxed, polished or even used a "clay bar?" on any of them. We didn't even hand wash any of them, just take them to the $20 car wash.

You can tell im a total newbie at this, and need professional help [80?] .

So Far, i never taken my car to the $20 car wash because people always say hand washing is the best. But this is getting tuff.

I hear alot of people talking about Zaino. Is Zaino a good wax to use. Is waxing an polishing the same thing? Whats the difference? Does Zaino make a wax, and a polish?

and whats this z-2, z-3, z-5 protectant layer of Zaino mean. Does this mean i have to wax the car 3 TIMES with 3 different LAYERS?

Say tomarrow i was going to wash, clay, polish, and wax my car.
Can all that be done in one day?
Washing is easy, you told me to start with dawn dish soap only before i wax my car, and all other times, use a normal car wash soap. I have no questions on washing.

After i wash with Dawn Dish soap, im guessing i use a "Clay Bar?" This clay bar will not scratch the paint right? How long does it take to clay bar a 3 series? Can you go into a little detail in this clay bar process?

After i clay, then i polish, i think. I don't know any thing about polishing. I assume Zaino makes a polish, are instructions on the label? call me dumb, but i thought polishing and waxing are the same thing.

After i polish, i wax. i think i get how to wax. Its alot arm work, buffing, blah blah.

And what are these special towels you guys are using? Are these towels used to dry the car, or used when polishing/waxing/claying? I use a bath towel to dry the windows, and then a Shammi (spelled right?) to dry the paint.

Thanks for helping out a newbie [:(]

Last edited:
you got me excited, i wanted to go to auto zone today and buy a list of everything you were going to name and then detail my car because it lost its shine!

But b4 i do, i better ask because im afraid im going to **** up royaly and use wrong materials, or not do things in right steps and scratch my car

OK, lets try this one at a time...,

I hear alot of people talking about Zaino. Is Zaino a good wax to use.

Yes, very durable..., however, it is not a wax, it is a sealant.

Is waxing an polishing the same thing?
No

Whats the difference?

No, polishing is using either an abrasive or chemical to clean and/or remove imperfections.
Waxing or using a sealant is for the protection of the paint.
There are "one step" products, wax, clean, polish, glaze, etc...,
However, there is a large tradeoff in performance in all areas.

Does Zaino make a wax, and a polish?

Zaino carries a full line of products for car care (note, the polish is actually a sealant- "protectant"..., kinda gets confusing forbeginners, but you will catch on:)

and whats this z-2, z-3, z-5 protectant layer of Zaino mean. Does this mean i have to wax the car 3 TIMES with 3 different LAYERS?

Z-2 - Non-abrasive sealant for clear coat paint
Z-5 - Non-abrasive sealant with minimal fillers for fine marring.
Z-3 - Non-abrasive sealant for single stage paint

Say tomarrow i was going to wash, clay, polish, and wax my car.
Can all that be done in one day?

Yes.

After i wash with Dawn Dish soap, im guessing i use a "Clay Bar?" This clay bar will not scratch the paint right?

As long as you are carefull and follow the instructions.

How long does it take to clay bar a 3 series?

Depends on the condition of the paint.

Can you go into a little detail in this clay bar process?

Using a good clay lube, wet one small section of the car, lightly rub clay across the paint to pick up debris embedded in the paint..., very easy to use once you get started.

After i clay, then i polish, i think.

Yes.

I don't know any thing about polishing. I assume Zaino makes a polish

No, Zaino is actually a sealant.

Are instructions on the label?

Yes.

Call me dumb, but i thought polishing and waxing are the same thing.

Not unless you are using a product designed to do both functions..., but remember, it will not do as well as a product designed to do one specific function.

After i polish, i wax.

Right..., unless you plan to use a sealant such as Zaino, then you will need to wash the car again, either Dawn or Z-7.

And what are these special towels you guys are using?

MicroFiber.

Are these towels used to dry the car, or used when polishing/waxing/claying? I use a bath towel to dry the windows, and then a Shammi (spelled right?) to dry the paint.

The MicroFiber I carry are all designed to perform exceedingly high.
I have specific towels/products for-
Glass
Drying
Buffing/Polishing
Applying
Washing
Interior

WHEW!!!
That was loooong:)

so wait

Im going to wash the car with dawn soap, (and not dry it right?)
Then i will start to clay it. After i clay it, I am going to use Zaino Polish on it.
Im guessing i use the z-2 layer of zanio polish. Then i wash it AGAIN with dawn soap!
And then use a Zaino wax? And Those microfiber towels, i use them to dry, to buff wax, and to polish?

Just quick confirmation i got it down

Wash
Dry
Clay
Dry
Polish as needed
Buff off
Z-7 wash
Z-5
Z-6
Z-5
Z-6
Z-2
End...

MicroFiber-
Use towels for specific purpose, glass towels for glass, WW for drying, applicators for applying, mitt for washing, dusting, UP towels for removing wax/sealant/Zaino, etc, etc...,
Descriptions of towels on web site:)

ok, one last question on this clay thing

Does clay contain "abrasives?"

I always thought abrasives were to aggressive, paint removing materials.

If the clay contains an abrasive, why would anyone in their right mind use it, and remove levels of their paint.

I would think it contains an abrasive, becasue how else does it remove surface contaminants?

Last edited:
hey wayne, i just went to this website, http://www.lazaino.com/ProductList.htm, and was reading all the zanio stuff what you were talking about.

That seems like great stuff. But i thought you said polishing and waxing are not the same. You didn't tell me what step to wax? Unless i don't wax when i polish?

Will waxing over the Z-2 polish, remove the z-2?

And the Zaino Claybar z-18 i read is non-abrasive [:)]

BMW_FaNaTiC said:
hey wayne, i just went to this website, http://www.lazaino.com/ProductList.htm, and was reading all the zanio stuff what you were talking about.

That seems like great stuff. But i thought you said polishing and waxing are not the same. You didn't tell me what step to wax? Unless i don't wax when i polish?

If using Zaino, you do not need wax.

Will waxing over the Z-2 polish, remove the z-2?

No, But, IMO, a waste of time..., Zaino is MUCH more durable

And the Zaino Claybar z-18 i read is non-abrasive

As is the clay I carry..., There are very few abrasive clay's

Call Zaino- 732-833-8800, tell Sal I recommended their products and you will get everything you need except for the polish, which I can supply you.
Remember, Zaino polish is "Non-Abrasive", you will "Not" remove any paint defects using Zaino, Zaino polishes are true "Last Step Protectants".
Check out my web site for the polishes and clay, the go to the Zaino web site for "Tips & Tricks", then give him a call to order...,
[:)]

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Claying is key...and I've been claying my car now before waxing for about 4 years. It makes a huge difference, especially if your car sits outdoors a lot like mine. The clay is not abrasive, but absorbs the little bits of pollen, sap, road crud, etc., that land on your car. The brand Clay Magic includes a plastic hand glove that you use to run your fingers over the surface of the car. After claying, you won't believe the difference.

As for polyester towels (now called "microfibre"), I'm still a 100% cotton guy....unless anyone's sending out free samples to convert me, Wayne??? LOL.