Rims have a rust color...help!!

Hey everyone, after a long exhausting winter here, I was finally able to go out and wash my car, this past weekend, throughout the winter I would just pull into those spray booths and spray off as much salt and road grime as I could. The car looks great, but the rims came mostly clean but I notice in some spots a rusty orangey yellowy color that I cannot seem to remove with soap and water. I am thinking about getting some tire cleaner but not sure which one would be best for what I need, I would appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. The rims are less then 1 year old, and are in great shape.

Thanks in advance
Thief

Tire cleaner?? or do you mean wheel cleaner.

Try these sites: www.griotsgarage.com and www.autogeek.net (no, I don't work for either one of them)

The rust color doesn't sound like brake dust. Probably something you've picked up from the road. Try P21S wheel cleaner or the similar one from Griots. I like the gel P21S because it can sit for a while on really soiled wheels and isn't supposed to do any damage. They also have tire cleaners, but I haven't found one so far that is really superior.

[driving]

Sorry I should clarify ( or better yet upload a few pics), its on all four rims, and looks horrible.

Let me see if I can get some pics.

Thanks
Thief

First off, you have to take good care of your wheels during the winter. You do this simply by cleaning them thoroughly whenever they get dirty. Rinsing them in water isn't enough - either wash them with soap and water, or pickup a bottle of wheel cleaner.

Now to get rid of the orange rust crap on your wheels, purchase a clay bar from your local auto supply store. Purchase something like Meguiar's clay bar kit that comes with a clay bar and the lube. The clay bar will get rid of any "settled-in" brake dust you may have, and hopefully it will pickup the orange stains (although I have no idea whether it will work or not). If the clay bar does not work, you probably have to buff it off somehow. Anybody have any suggestions as to an ideal buffer to use for this application, or perhaps some other method that will hopefully get rid of the orange stains?