Need help with my soft top window please.

Cleaning plastic window of soft top

Hey guys,
First time posting, but I just baught my BMW and the window of the soft top is blurry [bigcry] , is there and way I can clean it to make it clear again? If so what cleaner should I use? [screwy]
Any help would be great

Yes, that happens to the plastic rear window over time! I don't know how to make it clear again, though. Your best bet is to post this in the Auto Detailing section. Have you tried any auto glass cleaners on it?

MrElussive said:
Yes, that happens to the plastic rear window over time! I don't know how to make it clear again, though. Your best bet is to post this in the Auto Detailing section. Have you tried any auto glass cleaners on it?
No I haven't, I figured it was the same as regular window cleaner. But if it is not I will be running to the store to buy some.

SmartStyle437 said:
Hey guys,
First time posting, but I just baught my BMW and the window of the soft top is blurry [bigcry] , is there and way I can clean it to make it clear again? If so what cleaner should I use? [screwy]
Any help would be great

I use Megs #10 & #17 on my neighbor's Miata and this is the results I got:

Before:

After:

Make sure you treat both sides.

For routine maintenace, I use a product that is called Plexus that is supposed to be used on the canopies of the stealth airforce aircraft. It also works great for the clear plastic on the instrument panels.

I just got through with this whole nightmare. I have a 1994 325 convertible, and live
in the desert, need I say more. Anyway here are your options. If the plastic is not
to bad ( cracked or yellowed ) you can take it to a detail shop and have them use a mild
polishing compound with a buffer on the window. I even tried this myself and it works.
There is a downside however. When you buff the plastic it takes off the top layer, thus
clarifying the view. The bad part is that it is more susceptible to the sun, and will yellow
easier. You can slow this down by applying a good clear wax with UV protection in it.
This will work for awhile. Eventually you will have to replace the it with a new plastic
window. These can be found easily on the internet or Ebay, (I even have an extra one)
One last thing. When you get a new window, pick up some Meguirars Mirror Glaze
clear plastic detailer. It works wonders on plastic windows.
Hope this helps,
Jay

JUS

I use Meguiars #10 Clear Plastic Polish & #17 Clear Plastic Clearner I purchase at the dealer both for $16.00. I also bought a Z roadster window cover # 82-11-1-469-778 cost $8.00 it will work on your car this will pervent the plastic window from rubbing together it will help prolong the window usage.

JUS

JUS

Use Meguiars #10 Clear Plastic Polish & #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner, I purchase both at the dealer Cost $16 for both. I also purchase a Z 3 roadster window cover # 82-11-1-469-788,cost $8 at the dealer this will prolong the windows usage and will work on your car just strap it on the outside it will pervent the plastic from rubbing togther.

JUS

They all go bad eventually. I found the polish and wax helped some. I recently replaced the window with a little help and it is amazing what a difference a new clear window makes. I got it done for $250 by installing it myself.

Big Daddy

JUS said:
Use Meguiars #10 Clear Plastic Polish & #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner, I purchase both at the dealer Cost $16 for both. I also purchase a Z 3 roadster window cover # 82-11-1-469-788,cost $8 at the dealer this will prolong the windows usage and will work on your car just strap it on the outside it will pervent the plastic from rubbing togther.

JUS

This is what I use on my 98 M roadster, original window still in place!

Try Plexus. It's what fighter pilots use on their plastic canopies of their jets. Also very big in the motorcycle industry. I use it when I detail jeeps and their plastic windows and use it on headlights, taillights.

Big Daddy

Just another thought, do NOT use regular glass cleaners, like Windex, etc. These contain harsh chemicals that are bad on the plastic windows. When I wash my roadster I use my regular Zymol auto bathe soap on the window, then rinse and towel dry. I then use the Megiaurs cleaner and polish.