Microfiber craze

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
I don't get the microfiber craze. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm all about synthetic motor oils and I think the synthetic waxes have passed by the naturals (carnauba). But, I bought a 3M "microfiber" dishcloth for the kitchen...it's just a polyester dishrag. I bought 3 cans of ClearGlass and it came with some free "microfiber" cloths. Again, just polyester towels...this time blue. I bought a "microfiber" chamois-wanna-be in brown and it didn't soak up anything.

They say polyester is no longer the term so now they come out with all sorts of original ways to call synthetic fiber something different.

http://www.polymerweb.com/_misc/tradenam.html

What's so wrong with cotton, leather, and trees?

Throw your cotton car rags in the wash with some PineSol and they're good as new (except you loose cotton each time you wash them)...nothing beats a chamois (except in cost)...and newspaper on the windows is free (after reading the morning paper).

Last edited:

Big Daddy

I have tried them and due my dry skin they cling to my hands. I do not care for the feel of "microfiber" and use 100% cotton towels (purchased at Costco) for my polishing and waxing. I use the synthetic chamois for drying because I read that a true chamois is very hard on paint, oops I stll use Zymol carnauba waxes.

I swear by good quality micro-fiber towels! Especially the drying towels! I also use them for polishing and waxing the car. Wax and glazes do not clog up the micro-fiber towels as easily as regular cotton towels. Most, (not all), are as safe on your car's paint as the softest cotton towels.

There is a huge difference in massed produced Wal-Mart, Costco, etc, towels and Towels manufactured under strict quality guidelines.
I have tested many towels, some even look and feel the same, but when put to use, there is NO comparision..., which is good for me:)

I was REALLY worried when Wal-Mart started carrying microfiber.
I picked up some to test out..., the "worry" quickly left:)

I believe a lot of people try the cheap versions, then decide cotton towels are just as good..., I totally agree, I would rather use cotton than a cheap microfiber, plus the cotton would be safer too than a low quality mass marketed microfiber.

Kinda like a Yugo vs. a Ferrari, they are both cars,
Both get you from point A to point B,
Both have 4 wheels,
Both have a motor and transmission,
Both have windows
Both have, etc, etc...

You can even put a Ferrari body kit on a Yugo frame to make it look the same-

Now test the performance:)

epj3

waynestowels said:
There is a huge difference in massed produced Wal-Mart, Costco, etc, towels and Towels manufactured under strict quality guidelines.
I have tested many towels, some even look and feel the same, but when put to use, there is NO comparision..., which is good for me:)

I was REALLY worried when Wal-Mart started carrying microfiber.
I picked up some to test out..., the "worry" quickly left:)

I believe a lot of people try the cheap versions, then decide cotton towels are just as good..., I totally agree, I would rather use cotton than a cheap microfiber, plus the cotton would be safer too than a low quality mass marketed microfiber.

Kinda like a Yugo vs. a Ferrari, they are both cars,
Both get you from point A to point B,
Both have 4 wheels,
Both have a motor and transmission,
Both have windows
Both have, etc, etc...

You can even put a Ferrari body kit on a Yugo frame to make it look the same-

Now test the performance:)
i bet you are the first person ever to compare a yugo to a ferrari [rofl]

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Big Daddy said:
...I do not care for the feel of "microfiber"...
Just wait...there will be "microfiber" business suits on the market in no time at all! [ohcrap]

Big Daddy said:
... oops I stll use Zymol carnauba waxes.
LOL. Let's not go there again Big Daddy [:p]

waynestowel said:
...I believe a lot of people try the cheap versions...
I'm not so sure I could make a distinction. I mean, 3M sells their Scotch Brite "High Performance Cloth" and you flip over the federal labeling requirement and it reads "80% Polyester 20% Nylon." It's a fine towel, don't get me wrong.

But what's so "microfiber" about it?

Last edited:
I used a chamois to dry cars and trucks for 40+ years. After reading vlad's sticky, I started using Big Blue towels on my BMW last August and haven't looked back. I use two of them to dry the car. I also use microfiber towels to clean and polish as well.

aNoodle said:
Just wait...there will be "microfiber" business suits on the market in no time at all! [ohcrap]

LOL. Let's not go there again Big Daddy [:p]

I'm not so sure I could make a distinction. I mean, 3M sells their Scotch Brite "High Performance Cloth" and you flip over the federal labeling requirement and it reads "80% Polyester 20% Nylon." It's a fine towel, don't get me wrong.

But what's so "microfiber" about it?

It is really something you would have to experience for yourself.
As you have said, you have tried the cheaper versions..., have you tried "any" of the high end towels or products?

Like any other product, there is high performance, then there is low performance.
Just because a product is labeled "microfiber" says nothing about it's performance..., all the "name" means is it is of a low denier.

Kinda like comparing two 350 Chevy V8 engines..., yes, both are V8's, one is rated at 140hp, the other at 425..., at "the surface" they are the same..., both are V8's, it is what is put "into" the V8 that REALLY makes the difference:)

Now, the same comparision can be said for ANY product..., quality and performance is not a "name tag", it is something that is "built into a product".

Hope this helps clear up some misconceptions on product names, labels, etc.

My willingness to go with microfiber towels is purely for waxing. My car's paint job isn't of the highest quality and I have found that when I am buffing off the Zaino with a cotton towel, the towel actually causes those hairline scratches/swirl marks! Well believe me, I seriously did shit a brick when I first realized this. Microfiber towels are very gentle to your car's paint and they are significantly more absorbant.

Call me crazy, but when I workout I usually wear microfiber shorts and a microfiber t-shirt. Feels very light and natural, absorbs my sweat quickly and dissipates it outwards, which also makes it a great undershirt for skiing!!

PoorGuyX3

I am a user of the MicroFiber Drying towels as well. I wish I would have looked here b4 I boutgh mine from Griot's Garage. I paid $50 for two from them. I know where to get them now thanks to Wayne's info on this post.

I absolutly love these towels. Makes drying so much easier and it feels like you've just waxed the car when you dry.

I also must admit to buying the yellow MicroFiber towels from Costco, but I could not resist. $8 for like 12 towels i think?? Granted they are small like a wash cloth, but they are great to use with detailing products in between waxings.

Happy Detailing!

Microfiber wash-suit

I want to add that I would like to propose a microfiber jumpsuit. Perhaps waffle-weave on one side & a suede on the other. Put on this microfiber jump suit. Hose your car down, lather up the suit & slip n' slide all over your car to clean & dry! What do you think?

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
johnnygraphic said:
I want to add that I would like to propose a microfiber jumpsuit. Perhaps waffle-weave on one side & a suede on the other. Put on this microfiber jump suit. Hose your car down, lather up the suit & slip n' slide all over your car to clean & dry! What do you think?
LMAO [bmwdance] It would only work if you have "microfiber" underwear on too!