Engine Detailing

l33

Obviously you have to be careful when you detail your engine, but how far do you have to go? Should you cover every single little wire or just be careful not to rinse it directly with a hose? I bought Hi-Intensity cleaner to clean my engine, tires and wheels. I've never used it before, can i clean all 3 with the same product to water ratio?
Thanks.

l33 said:
Obviously you have to be careful when you detail your engine, but how far do you have to go? Should you cover every single little wire or just be careful not to rinse it directly with a hose? I bought Hi-Intensity cleaner to clean my engine, tires and wheels. I've never used it before, can i clean all 3 with the same product to water ratio?
Thanks.
Anything you do not want wet, cover with plastic wrap, then wrap withaluminum foil.
Do NOT spray silicones in the engine compartment..., to risky.
There are TSB's by the automakers stating it causes problems with O2 sensors, computors and electronics...

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Interesting, my dealer told me I could wash off the engine compartment a couple times a year with water from a hose. He said no pressure hoses. I have done it maybe once a year...just put the hose on low, and let it trickle over the engine area and remove some of the dust.

I know it's not something to do often. I would never spray the "engine cleaner" option at the local hand pressure car wash. Lord only knows what corrosive goo is coming out of that pressure hose. I just use a garden hose with plain water to remove dust once a year maybe. Am I messing up? Are the compenents really at risk?

l33

I would imagine it can be a little wet, rain and other water must splash up in there. I've heard both side, cover nothing or cover all.

aNoodle, it is okay to do only on certain areas of the engine (I wouldn't go spraying the entire engine bay lol), just make sure the engine is cold and give it a few hours for the water to dry off after you rinse it down.