93 BMW 318is coolant air pocket

docrocky

A small hole developed in the hose exiting the rear engine block going to the heater coil. I had to remove the intake manifold, injector rail, etc to find the leak then corrected the situation. After reassembly and got the vehicle to start and run, noted that I did not have any heat coming to the passenger compartment. The coolant reseivor was filled appropriately. I then assumed that the thermostat was malfunctioning because the vehicle had sat unused for 2 years. I changed the thermo and housing gaskets and carefully filled the hoses going to the housing with coolant to check that the housing was properly secured. (second time around because I didn't use gasket sealer the first time around and had leaks as soon as coolant was added to the system).

With my next test run of about 3 miles I got fantastic heat via the heater as well as the defroster and the temp gauge stayed at mid range. After2 miles the heater/defroster started blasting cold air and the gague started to rise slightly above half way. Back home, there was steam coming from the area of the thermo housing and when I opened the small relief valve on the radiator top it blew steam for several minutes. I noted the top hose from the radiator to the thermo housing was very hot but the lower hose to the radiator from the thermo housing was just slightly warm.

Question: Am I dealing with an air pocket in the coolant circuit and how do I bleed it down. Also, could I have put the thermostat in backward? although the large o ring and the lip fit in the depression correctly. I am assuming that the thermo is not opening because the air pocket which is now steam can not cause the thermocoupler to function again assuming that it requires hot liquid to perform this function.

How'ss that for a Sunday Am sermon?

Please help if you can, this car was a gift to a handicapped student who needs reliable transportation and no money for repair or new vehicle. I work for free and am not being selflrightous, but I got burned on another chat room because I dared to ask for help.

RVN rocky..deedeemauing..get my drift?